[gdal-dev] Is the SOSI Norwegian driver still useful?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Nov 14 10:16:29 PST 2023

Hi,

During the OSGeo code sprint, it was mentioned to me that the OGR SOSI
driver (https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/sosi.html) is probably no longer
relevant. Kartverket, the Norwegian mapping agency, which is the entity
delivering datasets in the SOSI standard and which contributed the
driver in 2010 has changed the format a few years ago and libfyba + the
OGR SOSI driver haven't been updated to deal with it. It seems unlikely
that Kartverket will provide updates to libfyba + OGR SOSI driver, given
that the updated SOSI format is going to be totally retired in a near
future. Apparently the future/new standard will be GML based, indeed
totally different of the old custom SOSI format.

It thus seems its only use now would be limited to SOSI datasets
produced up to a few years ago, which is a pretty limited use case. If
there's no longer any use of it, it could be a good candidate for being
removed.

==> Are there users still using the existing OGR SOSI driver ?

Even