[gdal-dev] slow translate with OVERVIEW_LEVEL=NONE when no overviews exist

Scott public at postholer.com
Fri Nov 24 16:51:02 PST 2023

Over the network it takes 23 seconds:

time gdal_translate -oo OVERVIEW_LEVEL=NONE -outsize 219 226
/vsicurl/https://github.com/mdsumner/cog-example/raw/main/cog/sentinel-image.tif
net.tif
real  0m23.909s
user  0m4.374s
sys   0m1.021s

Saving the file locally and translating it's fractional second:

time gdal_translate -oo OVERVIEW_LEVEL=NONE -outsize 219 226 sent.tif
local.tif
real  0m0.143s
user  0m0.107s
sys   0m0.036s

My guess is there are numerous reads of the file and across a network,
depending on server load, etc, it may take muchlonger.