[gdal-dev] Notice: issue about multi-threaded GTiff compression+decompression

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Oct 16 07:42:39 PDT 2023

Hi,

For GDAL 3.6.0 to 3.7.2, use of multi-threaded GTiff
compression+decompression, in particular within the same file, as for
example in a "gdalwarp -co COMPRESS=... -co NUM_THREADS=..." workflow
can lead to deadlocks (process stalled forever) and/or data corruption
(sometimes without errors at generation). Cf
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/8470 for a reproducer. The fix is
in https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/8561

The issue is particularly visible on Windows, or more generally any
operating system (or file system where the output file is located) which
has no VSIVirtualHandle::PRead() implementation, but it can also be
occasionally reproduced on Linux (at least as a deadlock).

Even