[gdal-dev] Tag for units in GeoTIFF

David Shean dshean at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 09:50:56 PDT 2023

Hi Even and Javier,
For the special case of a DEM, would it make more sense to specify the units with a vertical CRS?  This approach would define the LENGTHUNIT and the associated vertical datum.

Example for EPSG:4979:

        AXIS["ellipsoidal height (h)",up,
            ORDER[3],
            LENGTHUNIT["metre",1]],

Example for EPSG:5703:

VERTCRS["NAVD88 height",
    VDATUM["North American Vertical Datum 1988"],
    CS[vertical,1],
        AXIS["gravity-related height (H)",up,
            LENGTHUNIT["metre",1]],

More complicated than specifying the generic UNITTYPE in raster metadata, but seems like best practice.
-David