[gdal-dev] How do I merge a semi-transparent hillshade and a colour rendered DSM for better Visualization?

Devdatta Tengshe devdatta at tengshe.in
Thu Oct 26 21:23:22 PDT 2023

Hi all,

My objective is to Tile a DSM in GeoTiff format, so that it can be
overlayed on a OpenLayers Web Map.

A common technique in Desktop GIS is to give 10% Transparency to a Hilshade
and add it on top of a Colour rendered DEM. I want to do the same on the
command line.

I have managed to create the Hillshade and the Colour rendered DSM using
`gdaldem`.

I want to overlay these on top of each other, and create one GeoTiff, which
I can then feed into gdal2tiles.

How do I go about merging the hillshade and DSM into one, using GDAL on the
command lines?

The only link I found was this (
https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/255537/merging-hillshade-dem-data-into-color-relief-single-geotiff-with-qgis-and-gdal
)

But using those commands gives me an output which looks nothing like the
output in QGIS when overlaying the two layers. (It gives me a Raster which
has lots of whites and greys, and very little of the Coloured DSM can be
seen)

Regards,
Devdatta