[gdal-dev] GDAL 3.8.0beta1 available for testing

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Oct 31 07:33:10 PDT 2023

Hi,

I've prepared a beta1 of GDAL 3.8.0 to get feedback from earlier testers.

Sorry no updated NEWS.md file yet, but I'd in particular be interesting
by testing of ogr2ogr workflows, since they have underwent significant
changes in the underlying implementation:

- when the source layer is a layer implementing the ArrowStream API
(that is  GeoPackage, FlatGeoBuf, Arrow or Parquet), and when no ogr2ogr
options than -of, -where, -spat, -lco, -dsco, -gt,
-append/-overwrite/-update are used (and -sql as well for GeoPackage).
When enabling CPL_DEBUG, you'll see a "OGR2OGR: Using WriteArrowBatch()"
trace when that new code path is taken. If specifying other options, the
feature-iteration-based traditional implementation is used

- and/or when the output layer is GeoPackage (new layer), due to the
revamped much faster spatial index creation.  This enhanced spatial
index creation is not ogr2ogr specific and is actually available more
generally for CreateLayer() + CreateFeature() or CreateLayer() +
WriteArrowBatch() scenarios.

Point of attention would be when in situations with large files and/or
with low RAM.

The ghcr.io/osgeo/gdal:ubuntu-small-latest,
ghcr.io/osgeo/gdal:ubuntu-full-latest,
ghcr.io/osgeo/gdal:alpine-normal-latest Docker images have been
refreshed with 3.8.0beta1 (ghcr.io/osgeo/gdal:alpine-small-latest still
building at time of writing).

(Note: the GDAL master conda builds mentioned at
https://gdal.org/download.html#gdal-master-conda-builds have been broken
for a couple weeks and are thus not usable to test beta1 currently. I'm
investigating)

Source snapshots at:

- https://download.osgeo.org/gdal/3.8.0/gdal-3.8.0beta1.tar.gz

- https://download.osgeo.org/gdal/3.8.0/gdal-3.8.0beta1.tar.xz