[gdal-dev] Formalizing GDAL "file name" syntax in an RFC?

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 08:14:51 PDT 2023

Hi all,

In https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/8155#issuecomment-1704923263 I think
I see (for the first time?) the beginning of a specification of the syntax
for GDAL "file names". I think it would be helpful if there was an RFC for
this.

I'm sure a lot of applications construct GDAL file names without much
understanding of what's correct or incorrect. A formal spec could help make
it more likely that anyone can construct a valid filename on the first try.

A stretch goal for the RFC could be to come up with a syntax that is
sufficiently general that authors of new format drivers don't have to
create their own new idiosyncratic file names.

--
Sean Gillies