[gdal-dev] Using ogr2ogr with limited memory

Abel Pau a.pau at creaf.uab.cat
Thu Sep 28 01:01:36 PDT 2023

Hi Scott,

As a programmer, I can see that when translating from one format to another, there is a minimal amount of memory to work with. The primary objective for a programmer is to be cautious about this and strive to stay within this limit. The easy solution would be to request as much memory as needed, but in reality, this approach doesn't work in the long run.

During these days, while I've been working on a driver to integrate it into GDAL, I haven't come across a defined memory limit in the ogr2ogr options (though I could be mistaken). I have set my own limitations because I understand that if not, issues will inevitably arise.

If you encounter problems, perhaps you could consider breaking down the problem into smaller parts (if possible) and work with these parts separately before recombining them.

I apologize for not providing a concrete solution.

Best regards,
Abel