[gdal-dev] Gdaladdo and external mask band

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Apr 3 07:18:03 PDT 2024

Hi Jukka,

I've realized this behaviour was actually documented in
https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/gtiff.html#overviews-and-nodata-masks :
"Internal overviews, external nodata mask: when running BuildOverviews()
in update mode on the .tif file, only the overviews of the main bands
will be generated. Overviews of the external .msk file must be
explicitly generated by running BuildOverviews() on the .msk."

... but just after fixing it in https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/9603
to do the expected thing: that is build overviews of the main bands and
of the .msk

I think it is also high time to reconsider switching the default value
of GDAL_TIFF_INTERNAL_MASK to YES : https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/9604

Even