[gdal-dev] Block cache and VRT sources

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Apr 19 08:35:02 PDT 2024

Le 19/04/2024 à 17:28, Sean Gillies a écrit :
> Even,
>
> Does the shared attribute of a VRT sourceFilename element not affect
> caching at all?

If shared is set to 0, then one GDALDataset per VRTSource will be
opened. This has little benefit.

The scope of sharing was initially greater since it extented to
potentially several GDALDataset instance of VRT, but this wasn't safe in
multithreaded scenarios where you would read one VRT in a thread,
another one in another thread, but both would point to let's same the
same TIFF GDALDataset. Hence the scope of sharing was reduced to a
single GDALDataset VRT instance to be safe by default.

> Is the cache avoided so that potentially stale data isn't propagated,
> or for other reasons?
Are you reacting to "if it is triggered. VRTSource::IRasterIO() calls
IRasterIO() on the source band, which doesn't necessarily always trigger
block-based reading" ?  I just meant that calling IRasterIO() on a
GDALDataset/GDALRasterBand doesn't necessarily cause the block cache to
trigger. This is dependent of the driver and the parameters of the
request. And this isn't specific to use it from a VRT.