[gdal-dev] Build question: GDAL with libwebp....

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 09:49:58 PST 2024

Hi,

Sorry if this is an elementary cmake question but I am curious if there is
a cleaner solution than I came up with.

I'm trying to build GDAL 3.8.3 with WEBP support.

I built libwebp 1.3.2 (the latest) without any problems, also using cmake.

However, when building GDAL, the link on the shared library fails since
WEBP seems to require TWO libraries (in the libwebp package), libwebp and
libsharpyuv.

My question is how can I persuade cmake to accept both libraries for
WEBP_LIBRARY?

I thought quotes would help.  What I think I ought to be able to do is
something like

   -DWEBP_LIBRARY="/usr/local/devlibs/libwebp-1.3.2/lib64/libwebp.a
/usr/local/devlibs/libwebp-1.3.2/lib64/libsharpyuv.a" \

or else

   "-DWEBP_LIBRARY=/usr/local/devlibs/libwebp-1.3.2/lib64/libwebp.a
/usr/local/devlibs/libwebp-1.3.2/lib64/libsharpyuv.a" \

but both options produce link lines that include the double quotes!  This
is an issue on Windows and Linux for me.

I have a couple of workarounds that I won't bore you with, but I was
wondering what the best practice is here (other than hand-editing the cmake
output of course).

I think that libwebp added the "sharpyuv" stuff at version 1.3.0 so perhaps
using an older version would also work, but that doesn't seem sustainable.

Thanks for suggestions,

carl