[gdal-dev] VSI sidecar and sibling file lookup

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 08:45:43 PST 2024

Hi Sean,
I believe/recall this is very driver dependent. Some drivers will look for
their sidecars in the provided sibling files list returned by
VSISiblingFiles, whereas others will unconditionally try to open well-known
sidecar names they will have computed from their own name. IIRC I added
VSISiblingFiles so that some vsi backends (namely object storage based
ones) could explicitly return an empty list of sibling files in order to
prevent drivers to emit a subsequent Readdir() (which might break drivers
that require sidecar files to work, but speeds up those where sidecar files
are optional and not used in a cloud-storage environment (namely cogs) )