[gdal-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: Lack of srs importFromESRI integer function

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jan 10 10:01:01 PST 2024

Le 10/01/2024 à 18:52, Meyer, Jesse R. (GSFC-618.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND
APPLICATIONS INC] a écrit :

> Thanks Even, we’ll try that.
>
> Are there any known integer values that ESRI and EPSG conflate?  If
> not, it would be convenient to simply pass in an integer to a single
> API function and be done with it.

I believe not. Codes in the [1,32767] range should lead to equivalent
definitions under both authorities. But when they are really the same,
to save space and confusion to users, they are not imported under the
ESRI authority and are only available under the EPSG ones. So codes in
the [1,32767] under the ESRI authorities are basically for CRS names
that are slightly different spelled by ESRI (but otherwise with a
definition compatible of the EPSG one). There are also very ancient
deprecated CRS that were imported from EPSG, but were deprecated by EPSG
so long ago that they are not in the EPSG database anymore (like
https://spatialreference.org/ref/esri/31491/).

But there's no only EPSG and ESRI in life :-) The IAU authority for
example uses numeric code in the ranges of what could be used by EPSG or
ESRI.

So it is really the tuple (authority_name,code) that conveys a primary key.