[gdal-dev] Layerstack multiple images, of different extents and variable number of bands

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 22:28:19 PST 2024

I would start with

gdalwarp <all your sources/files> out.tif

set -ts to something small at first to get a visual like -ts 1024 0   (the
y zero means the aspect ratio is figured out sanely from the x size  - with
no arguments you get best-preserving grid from all resolved inputs - set
some or 3 of -t_srs -tr -te -ts for a specific grid spec).

Just make sure the file with the largest number of bands is first in the
input list (separated by spaces), if actual data overlaps in matching
sequential bands last-in wins (IIUC).

Cheers, Mike

On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 4:02 AM lefsky--- via gdal-dev <
gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> I've been incorporating gdal into my processing pipelines and have a
> question about a feature.
>
> I need to be able to layer stack multiple images with different extents
> and varying numbers of bands, usually exceeding 1. I haven't been able to
> find a single command to do this in gdal. Am I missing something? If there
> is no such feature, has anyone developed a script out there that can
> robustly do all of those things (i.e. with checking for violation of
> assumptions about files and error handling)?
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Michael Lefsky (He/His)
> Home Location: HVHF+GH
> Cell: 970-980-9036
> http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-7224-2009
>
> *“for being prematurely, and worse, intuitively right — there’s a heavy
> price. But for being wrong — no, not so long as you’re wrong in a pack."
> Gary Brecher / Portis*
>
> *I acknowledge that I live and work on stolen land. This is the land of
> the Cheyenne, Arapaho, Ute, and Ocheithi Sakowin people. To learn more
> about these nations, please visit;
> http://www.utemountainutetribe.com/
> http://www.cheyennenation.com/
> https://cheyenneandarapaho-nsn.gov/