[gdal-dev] Building on windows

Abel Pau a.pau at creaf.uab.cat
Thu Mar 7 00:41:51 PST 2024

Hi,
I am a windows and VS2019 user anc C/C++ developer and I asked this question myself a long time ago.

Finally the best way for me was:

1)      Install vcpkg https://vcpkg.io/en/getting-started and install this on c:/dev/vcpkg. Follow their instructions. And then gdal instructions (https://gdal.org/download.html#vcpkg)

a.       git clone https://github.com/Microsoft/vcpkg.git

b.       .\vcpkg\bootstrap-vcpkg.bat

c.       vcpkg integrate install

d.       .\vcpkg install gdal --triplet=x64-windows

2)      Use this line to install all gdal needs: vcpkg --triplet x64-windows install curl expat geos lerc libdeflate libgeotiff libiconv libpng libxml2 openssl proj qhull sqlite3[rtree] xerces-c zlib

3)      Install python using vcpkg: vcpkg install python3

4)      Clone gdal https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal to some directory (let’s call it “$Gdal$”)

5)      Set the system environment variable GDAL_DATA to $Gdal$\build\data

6)      Go to the folder $Gdal$ in cmd and

a.       cmake -B build -S . -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=C:/dev/vcpkg/vcpkg/scripts/buildsystems/vcpkg.cmake  (<-- look for this file in your vcpkg installation: I have two vcpkg levels, I don’t know why but I don’t care)

b.       cmake --build build

It should work. If it doesn’t, tell us and let’s see if I missed something.
If it’s worth perhaps we can document it in somewhere on gdal page, cause it’s a long journey to set all this. It’s not clear anywhere.