[gdal-dev] Motion: adopt RFC 99: Geometry coordinate precision

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Mar 8 04:23:53 PST 2024

Le 07/03/2024 à 20:44, Kurt Schwehr a écrit :
> +0 KurtS. It seems like a good idea, but I worry about
> unintended consequences, but can't come up with any.

I'm quite confident that as most new features (or sometimes even
bugfixes), it will cause issues in some scenarios. Hopefully it will
also help address more scenarios that aren't covered currently than ones
that it will break :-) The main scenario I can imagine where the feature
will trigger without users explicitly opting for it is when using
ogr2ogr from a source that has an advertized precision (so no existing
dataset). And by default none of the drivers will write coordinate
precision metadata, unless the user has explictly defined one (through
the API or the -xyRes switch of ogr2ogr). For example, even if you use
the GeoJSON driver with RFC7946 output which rounds to 7 decimals by
default, the xy_coordinate_resolution=1e-7 metadata will *not* be
written in the file. And the new switch -unsetCoordPrecision switch will
be a way to go back to the pre 3.9 behavior when dealing with source
datasets that have an advertized coordinate precision. So hopefully
backward compatibility should be quite good. A good indicator is that
none of the existing regression tests had to be modified.