[gdal-dev] WFS: Why to query the schema of all feature types if asking for just one?

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Tue Mar 12 07:17:31 PDT 2024

Hi,

I noticed that this query:
ogrinfo WFS:https://maps.helcom.fi/arcgis/services/MADS/Human_Activities/MapServer/WFSServer Human_Activities:Dredging_sites_points_36_2 --debug on

builds first a DescribeCoverage request that has a list all the 156 featuretypes:
Fetch(https://maps.helcom.fi/arcgis/services/MADS/Human_Activities/MapServer/WFSServer?SERVICE=WFS&VERSION=2.0.0&REQUEST=DescribeFeatureType&TYPENAME=Human_Activities:Dredging_sites_points_36_2,Human_Activities:Dredging_sites_areas_36_2, ...

I believe that the query string gets too long and the WFS server sends http 404 error. After that GDAL makes DescribeFeatureType for just "Human_Activities:Dredging_sites_points_36_2" and that query is successful. But I wonder why to make the first query at all.

-Jukka Rahkonen-