[gdal-dev] gdal_rasterize processed GTiff filesize question

Andrey VI andrey_vi at list.ru
Tue Mar 19 09:08:54 PDT 2024

Yes, the target files already exists. Yes, I’ve tried to investigate this issue on some small and medium files. For example:
original hillshade.tif size is 11469 bytes, after gdal_rasterize its size is 26465 bytes, and after gdal_translate - 15426 bytes,
original - 7477 K, gdal_rasterize - 8705 K, gdal_translate - 5964 K,
original - 39110 K, gdal_rasterize - 39112 K, gdal_translate - 446 K.
So,  it depends on the content of the raster.
I would like to avoid intermediate processing if possible. This will require additional time for processing and space for the data. Moreover, in some cases a lot of space needs to be allocated for intermediate files.

Andrey