[gdal-dev] About -oo -lco -dsco in docs

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Mar 27 14:01:48 PDT 2024

Salut Thomas,

There's a tension between being clear to users, and also aiming at being
concise / not repeating us too much (we have already one thousand pages
of doc to maintain), and if we need to repeat, find the technical way of
doing it without actually having to copy&paste&maintain the same text.

Probably a solution could be to have under each "Open options"
paragraph, and introduction sentence like

"Consult :ref:`how to specify open options <open_options>` with command
line utilities and the API." that links to a page explaining the concept
and how to use it.

I was wondering if we'd just want to copy&paste that sentence at all
relevant places, or create a custom Sphinx extension for a directive
that would do that. The later is probably overkill. Possibly a one-time
simple Python script could automatically insert that at relevant places

Even