[OSGeodata] geodata schema

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Tue Aug 1 11:20:41 EDT 2006

> I would like to suggest the following work items in Java
>
> (1) Take existing metadata postgis database
Gabriel Roldan (cced) I believe has been working on database catalog
stuff in Java with GeoTools.  He may have some code that you could
reuse.  He's focused on CS-W2, but there may be some backend stuff you
could use.  He's also looking to make it a plug-in to GeoServer's new
modular architecture, run it as a service there.

Even if there's not much code overlap, it might be interesting to try to
incorporate some of your stuff to the GeoServer architecture.  It's now
spring based, which I think should be compatible with what you're doing,
and it could ship as a plug-in to GeoServer and as a stand alone app
built on the same architecture.  Just something to think about, I like
your approach a lot, it's in line with what I've been thinking about
recently.

Also note that the coming Feature Model stuff in GeoTools is an POJO
abstraction of geospatial objects, and should be rich enough to handle
even more complex metadata elements, and also be able to give simpler
views on them.

best regards,

Chris

--