[OSGeodata] geodata schema

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at ec.gc.ca
Wed Aug 2 11:31:43 EDT 2006

I see two levels of decision here:

1./ RESTful interface
2./ underlying information model
2./ output content model

I would go with a WFS as the interface standard (flexible API).  In our
experiences with owscat, we found WFS to be flexible, and can already be
integrated with WFS client tools, as well as the option of going with
open source WFS servers out-of-the-box (MapServer, GeoServer, deegree).

For an information model, I would envision a model (or db tables) like:

service_endpoints

service_resources

data_resources

Where service_endpoints and service_resources are basically a split of
an OGC Capabilities XML document (service vs. layer metadata) with
foreign key refs associating them.

For an output content model, as a WFS, we can offer a multitude of
output formats:

Data: OWSCommon (which is based on ISO19115/9), FGDC, DC
Services: OWSCommon (which is based on ISO19115/9)

We can also provide an operation to a GeoRSS feed for 'most recent'
entries.

..Tom