[OSGeodata] geodata stylesheets

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at ec.gc.ca
Thu Aug 3 11:18:56 EDT 2006

Check out the mapbuilder codebase.  They already have some XSLT's to
parse OGC:WMS and OGC:WFS, I believe.

> The Sensor Observation Service would be interesting in terms
> of generating GeoRSS, and there are a couple flying around at
> the moment (MapServer has support).

We're almost done deploying our OGC:SOS via MapServer of our national
water quality measurements.  As an asdie, we have to tweak the MapServer
code still for OGC:SOS, as, at this point, one station (sensor) is seen
as a LAYER object, which could be cumbersome for monitoring programs
with hundreds of stations (sorry, my gaffe on that one, this is how we
outlined the design when we funded OGC:SOS support in MapServer).
Anyways, better off discussed on mapserver-dev.

I think, for a catalogue, we'll also want to have OGC:SensorML documents
supported.  Conceptually, a SensorML document can be a catalogue
resource, which can point to an OGC:SOS, which can provide O&M, or
GeoRSS, etc.

> I have concerns about how much useful metadata you can
> retrieve from a getcapabilities call, the time period is
> important, and also since most getcapabilites are dynamic
> should you just fetch every time - or say file size (as
> determined by an http head request) is an indicator of
> whether to fetch?

I know the OGC:WMS 1.1.1 DTD has a root element attribute of
updateSequence (see section 7.1.3.4 of OGC:WMS 1.1.1 spec at:
http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=1081&version=1&forma
t=pdf).  The problem is that this is an optional element, so some
instances may not have this info.

>From my experience, harvesting frequency has been ad hoc thus far (i.e.
somehow figuring out things have changed, then harvest).  We could do an
HTTP HEAD as a means of quick scanning, but what happens if the filesize
is the same but the content has changed?  Mind you, chances of this
would probably be small.  I wonder what others have done for their
catalog updates.

> I have copied the concerning bits from the stylesheet here
> but they relate to populating the database schema
>
>     <!-- boolean ok for classifying type? -->
>     <entry key="raster">1</entry>
>     <entry key="vector">0</entry>
>     <entry key="point">0</entry>

How are you figuring this out from GetCapabilities?  For OGC:WFS, we
know it's vector, OGC:WCS raster.  For OGC:WMS, are you checking the
(again optional) Layer/@opaque attribute?

>     <!-- evaluate bbox, so not just to get -180,-90,180,90 from lazy
> admins-->
>     <xsl:call-template name="bbox">
>         <xsl:with-param name="list" select="//wcs:lonLatEnvelope"/>
>     </xsl:call-template>
>
>     <!-- what value should we put in here? -->
>     <entry name="date"><xsl:value-of
> select="date:date-time()"/></entry>
>     <!-- need to a describeCoverage here, but this could be
> different for every coverage offering brief and we are only storing
> capabilities-->
>     <entry name="timePeriod"></entry>
>     <!-- CRS ref is forced to epsg:4326 -->
>     <entry name="projRef">EPSG:4326</entry>
>     <entry name="dataSource">WCS</entry>

What is the underlying database schema you are populating to?