OGUG Geodata

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Jul 19 15:06:45 EDT 2006

Hey gang,

For those of you interest, the Ottawa GRASS Users group is now hosting a
GRASS dataset of select data from the Canadian National Atlas. It has
taken a bunch of data in different projection and unprojected it to
lat-long, NAD83 (epsg:4269).

The datasets are meant for educational and training purposes for those
users just starting to work in the GRASS environment.

We are also working on a dataset that is specific to Ottawa Ontario. Our
goal is to provide a Candian version the popular Spearfish dataset.
Something close to home that may also provide interesting jumping off
points. And of course promote Canadian geospatial Data.

This is an example of a local user group using OSGEO based projects and
providing learning opportunities to new and old GFOSS users. We are
using a PLONE based environment where anyone with an account can
contribute data if they wish. We hope to experiment with SVN or CVS in
the near future and start some data gathering for theme based data and
providing GML format files, for example:
* WIFI
* Parks and Recreation (eg. Trails and pathways, greenspace)
* Infrastructure (eg sewers, communication towers, footprints)

Check out our Data page:
http://cemml.carleton.ca:8080/OGUG/Members/drsampson/geodata/ogug-data/a
tlas-of-canada-in-grass-format/grass-format-of-the-atlas-of-canada/

Comments and discussion occur on our mailing list: