Ready for a lean and mean Catalogue Service Protocol Spec.?

Stefan F. Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 06:50:46 EDT 2006

Many thanks for your many reactions. It seems that I hit a need and that
there is some sort of (implicit) agreement that we need a lean and mean
Catalogue Service Protocol Spec but - sigh: where to begin and how to reach
consensus here?

To clarify this at this place: Presumably no one wants to reimplement the
wheel and OGC needs to be kept in the loop. My short term goal is to define
a thesis project to contribute an implementation of such a service.

I'm still thinking forth and back what's better: Either to profile WFS (as
well as profiling the ISO 19115/19119 information model), or to extend
general search protocols like OpenSearch - thus becoming interoperable with
library and search community (did anyone really try to understand OAI-PMH?)
- or ...?

Next I will try to summarize the discussion with requirements, current
implementations and proposals.

-- Stefan

http://www.pvretano.com/cwwrs/cwwrs.cgi?request=GetRecords&typeNames=Extrinsic

Object&ConstraintLanguage=Filter&Constraint=%3Cogc:Filter%20xmlns:ebxml=%22urn

> :oasis:names:tc:ebxml-

> regrep:rim:xsd:
2.5%22%20xmlns:gml=%22http://www.opengis.net/gml%22%20xmlns:ogc

=%22http://www.opengis.net/ogc%22%3E%3Cogc:PropertyIsLike%20escape=%22\%22%20s

ingleChar=%22_%22%20wildCard=%22%25%22%20matchCase=%22false%22%3E%3Cogc:Proper

> tyName%3E/ExtrinsicObject/Description/LocalizedString/@value
%3C/ogc:PropertyNa

me%3E%3Cogc:Literal%3E%25bird%25%3C/ogc:Literal%3E%3C/ogc:PropertyIsLike%3E%3C

http://www.pvretano.com/cwwrs/cwwrs.cgi?request=GetRepositoryItem&id=urn:uuid
:

http://www.pvretano.com/cwwrs/cwwrs.cgi?request=GetRecordById&id=urn:uuid:3748

http://www.pvretano.com/cwwrs/cwwrs.cgi?request=GetRecordsBasic&fulltext=birds

> NOTE:  My experimental name for the request is GetRecordsBasic and at

> the moment the request returns an XML fragment which may not validate in

> your browser.  So, you may have to view the source to see what was

> generated by the catalogue.

> Other parameters on the GetRecordsBasic request include:

> BBOX, CLASSIFICATIONNODE, OBJECTTYPE, KEYWORDS, OUTPUTSCHEMA, Temporal

> Operators

> The advantage of this request is that the client does not need to be too

> familiar with the catalog's information model in order to formulate a
query.