The CIA World Factbook in shapefile form

Putler, Dan Dan.Putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Wed Jun 28 22:52:31 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I have completed a reasonable beta version of a political world map
that includes as attribute data fields information from the June 1,
2006 CIA World Factbook. It is a beta version since it appears that
some attribute field values that should be missing were coerced to
numeric zero values at some point in the process of creating the
data. When I get a chance, I'll fix this problem with a full release.

A I started working on this layer to use in showing GIS concepts to
my 12 year old son. However, I quickly realized this would likely be
of interest to both the Public Geodata and Education committees at
OSGEO. Moreover, it seems like a good first contributed data
offering, complete with the issues of how to handle metadata and
licensing issues. The data are derived from the VMAP0 political
boundary layer (which Markus Neteler provided valuable support in
helping me to create). Parts of the VMAP0 political boundary layer
seem to be in the public domain, while other parts seem to be under
(a very liberal, non-commercial use) license from ESRI. In any event,
if you are interested, the url to get this layer is www.pagcgeo.org/
world_factbk.zip.

Given the fairly high overlap between the Public Geodata and
Education committee lists, I've decided to post this to the Public
Geodata list.

Dan