[Geotiff] Re: [OSGeodata] File format for geo-coded ground-based photos

Daniel Denk djdenk at gmail.com
Wed May 10 20:59:12 EDT 2006

Ned,

You might also want to look through Adobe's XMP [Extensible Metadata
Platform] integrated into Photoshop versions CS and newer - and see if
there's anything of use.: http://www.adobe.com/products/xmp/indepth.html

Unfortunately, XMP forces you away from EXIF - and since it's not an actual
standard I don't and wouldn't use it because of this.

Kodak, Nikon, and Canon, may have relative source materials in regards to
their metadata platforms as well. They might be the best source in that
regard - though keep in mind that there's been a movement in the camera
industry to encrypt useful information - rendering the metadata somewhat
useless unless you're only using their software tools. Also keep in mind
that each camera/sensor model can have its own metadata platform. This is
why we see so many different flavors of plugins and formats to handle one
camera over another, blah blah, yada.

It seems everyone and their mom wants their own proprietary method these
days.

That statement aside -- here's an example of how designers are generating a
'movement' into geo-located concepts with photography and other imagery
source media [video, for example]. I believe this example simply uses
standard XML markup, which is of course a far more standard approach. Put
this concept in the reality of the Web 2.0, Identity 2.0, and Business
2.0paradigm movement, you can begin to gauge why designers are so
interested.
Mix mobile applications in that mess and you'll see why all the fuss. This
is a Flash interface - which I consider non-standard [another that falls
within the 'Industry Standard' paradigm as it's a plugin], but the work
being done with AJAX is phenominal and progressing rapidly as well.:
http://www.allthegoodness.com/projects/map/

You can also look into stuff like this, just because it's so darn cool. (Uh
oh, my geek is showing!):
http://www.robogeo.com/home/

Take care,
Daniel