'Free' geo data...

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Thu Oct 19 12:25:47 EDT 2006

Hi,
stumbled accross this one in /geo:

[bof]

Directions Mag host a short article on [0]doing business geographics with
DataPlace on a limited budget. From the article: " [1]DataPlace, a
website sponsored by the Fannie Mae Foundation (and referred to as a
"KnowledgePlex Initiative"), does an excellent job of letting you access
maps, data and charts for any place in the U.S., and it's free. [...] In
this case, free gets you good looking maps, charts and graphs, and
comparisons all in a good-looking format. These are maps, charts and data
that you can easily use in a report or a presentation that will make you
look good."

Discuss this story at:
    http://appdomains.slashgeo.org/comments.pl?sid=06/10/18/1613206

Links:
    0. http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=2317
    1. http://www.dataplace.org/

[eof]

I did not check what their definition of "free" is. There is an unclickable link "Use subject to license" and I did not find anything respective on their website.

It would be interesting to get such users / data providers interested in what we do with the geodata committee. Those statistic would be a cool asset for the geodata library.

Best regards,
Arnulf.