Geodata and Telescience stuff

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Sep 7 16:18:51 EDT 2006

Hey Folks,

It seems that I'm causing ripples again... It's great... I remember from
a previous meeting that no one even decided on a standard for
metadata...  For my applications I am hoping to produce all my metadata
through geoconnections
http://www.geoconnections.org/CGDI.cfm/fuseaction/aboutGcs.welcome/gcs.c
fm

1. My taxes paid for the metadata tool
2. many not for profits and comercial data providers in North America
and Abroad use it
3. it's a wheel that works fine
4. I don't need to develop a tool to manage
5. I can have matadata owners and maintainers under different accounts
6. I already have experience with it
7. It follows a pre defined standard (FGDC and ISO)
8. EASY EASY EASY

So... If I create my metadata through this, would that be sufficient for
metadata requirements for now until OSGEO decides on what they (WE, Us,
THEM) are doing for standards?

Frank and Markus, thanks for the initiative on both your parts...

Hopefully we can move to the next step so I can continue work on my OSGE
related projects.

About the Blade

I tried accessing some of the programs... I can't seem to hit on GRASS
and OSSIM or OpenEV (FW Tools I assume)...

OGR/GDAL and Proj all work from the command line

Do I have to provide the prefix to the binaries... Where are they? I
looked in /usr/local/* as per wiki but couldn't find the binaries to
run. I thought I might be able to use Tab completion, but no luck there
either.

Also, I have used postgres on my own local machine as root. Is there
something I should know before playing with postgis/gres? Does my
account need to be given permission? Where is the data for the tables?
/var/?/?/

Cheers

P.S My account is dsampson

The prompt reads [dsampson at xblade13-2]

Uname -r = 2.6.17-1.2139_FC4