[Geodata] Re: Online conversion and validation services on OSGEO?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 15 18:29:05 EDT 2007

Stefan F. Keller wrote:
> I thought an online conversion service would help outreach geospatial
> data. FWTools are nicely deployed but I experenced installation problems
> at user sites like missing libraries (e.g. ili2c.jar), setting
> environment variables (windows batch files) or not having access rights
> to install any program whatsoever.

Stefan,

Taken broadly, outreach for geospatial data can cover an awful lot of
territory.  I'm not against the idea, but it isn't near the top of my
todo list either.

> And what do you think about ii) validation and iii) metadata extraction?

I think Jeroen responded to the validation issue a bit.  I have
no specific thoughts.

Yes, I do think that some of the proposed metadata can be extracted
automatically with OGR using ogrinfo, or perhaps better the python
bindings.  My understanding was that Jo was pursuing some of this,
though I haven't been paying close attention.

Best regards,