[Geodata] Geodata License

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Tue Mar 20 18:05:25 EDT 2007

We are helping an Italian regional administration to release a set of
geodata similar to Spearfish.

We are close to clean up data and define last issues but we have not yet
chosen a license.
We would like to chose one that is well known, good for geodata, prevent
commercial use but Free enough to allow academic use and FOSS
applications use as demos.
a "viral" license would be great.

I've put an eye on the Creative Commons By-Nc-Sa
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

I don't know if it's strong enough or may cause problems of any kind to
data access or usage.

few questions:
1) is this the right place to talk about this?
2) do you have any recommendation or suggestion to add?

thanks in advance

ciao
Lorenzo