[Geodata] Geodata License

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Tue Mar 20 19:07:22 EDT 2007

>> I don't know if it's strong enough or may cause problems of any kind to
>> data access or usage.
>
> Richard Fairhurst's classic blog entry on "ShareAlike considered
> harmful" and the commentary on it is worth looking at.
> http://www.systemed.net/blog/entry060311122655.html
> Some of his more recent "gonzo legal" research...
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Case_law

Interesting, I'd not read that blog post before.  When I talked to the
CC science people they actually had a different interpretation for SA on
top of other mapping layers.  They said that the commercial licenses of
the other pieces some how take precedence, and thus it means you can
overlay SA data on top of it.  This is inspiring me to follow up with
them, who knows if anything will come of it.

But I went with CC SA-BY for my data, and I'm fine with people putting
it on top of other layers.  I do agree that NC is a bit much - it
doesn't gain you a lot and many people aren't sure if it will actually
hold up in court.

Chris

--
Chris Holmes