[Geodata] Landcover-DB Shapefile Download

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Sat Oct 6 17:17:46 EDT 2007

John Graham wrote:

> This is great ! You inspire me to list my pile :)

BTW, although I see myself being a guest who experiences the pleasure
of being kindly accommodated at the Geodata working group, I'd like to
express my discomfort about the way how/where people post information
about their respective data collections.

This uneasy feeling is not about the "right" place to post such sort of
announcements, it's just that, at least to my impression, everyone
chooses a new board.
When I started describing my collection that I call "Landcover-DB",
I've been looking around to find a 'common' place for such
advertisement. That page that I found suitable for the purpose and that
was proposed to me actually was the "Geodata Repository" page in the
Wiki:

  http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Geodata_Repository

In the meantime I realized that several people have collected pointers
especially to Canadion data on the respective page at:

  http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Canadian_Geodata

As another exaple, why the hell do people don't list their stuff on the
Wiki but instead put it here:

  http://data.freemap.in/list/DataSet/

Some of these datasets are _referenced_ from the "Geodata Repository"
Wiki page, so why do they need a separate server for it ?

This is not a 'system' that allows for an easy "one stop shopping".

Indeed, the target audience and the content of the mentioned pages is
slightly different. Yet I'd like to see the essence of these pages
being compiled into a single list which then features an appropriate
structure to honour the differences.

I know, this topic surfaces at least once a month - see Frank W.'s
posting "Data migration" or David B.'s recent FOSS4G summary of open
issues "Themes and Direction from FOSS4G". I also know that the "final
goal" (TM) is to have a distributed catalogue system like GeoNetwork.

Yet I think it makes much sense to agree on an interim solution for a
common place to advertize and describe geodata collections at a single
place - at least those collections that are maintained by OSGeo members
or their 'guests'  :-)

Cheerio,
	Martin.