[Geodata] Landcover-DB Shapefile Download

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Sun Oct 7 19:00:47 EDT 2007

Hi Frank !

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Martin Spott wrote:
> > As another exaple, why the hell do people don't list their stuff on the
> > Wiki but instead put it here:
> >
> >   http://data.freemap.in/list/DataSet/
> >
> > Some of these datasets are _referenced_ from the "Geodata Repository"
> > Wiki page, so why do they need a separate server for it ?

> After asking around a bit at the time about the "right" place to list
> metadata for geodata for OSGeo, I was pointed at the data.freemap.in
> service.  I (like others I'm sure) was just trying to do what seemed
> like best practice.  I agree there is some disarray!

Hehe, I almost did the same: I've been asking around, I was pointed to
the Wiki page and I did what seemed like best practice  :-)

So I'd think someone, maybe the OSGeo president  ;-))  should - without
too much hassle - propose one place to where we're going to move at
least the OSGeo-related metadata information and which we agree upon as
the primary place to maintain such information for now. I know that
this only serves as an interim solution but in my opinion it is much
better than spreading the information over multiple locations for an
undefined period of time.

Cheers,
	Martin.