[Geodata] Landcover-DB Shapefile Download

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Tue Oct 9 17:07:26 EDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 08:00:44AM +0200, Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
> A BIG problem for now considering the simple DC profile is that there
> is no place to put the service URL's for W*S etc.... I asked Jo and
> Stefan, browsed myself, but did not find it. Making sure such URL
> placeholder is in place is essential to make it worthwhile using the
> simple protocols. Anyone? If I know how, I can add it to the current
> DC formatted output and you all have your requested service output.

As we discussed at the Code sprint after FOSS4G; in GN you have a
listing of URLs used as identifiers for different protocols.
(In the protocolChoice in the strings.xml localisation files).
URLs that look like:

OGC:WMS-1.1.1-http-get-capabilities
WWW:LINK-1.0-http--link
GLG:KML-2.0-http-get-map

Now in, say an IS019115 serialisation you will have a stanza which
looks somewhat like this:

<onLineSrc>
        <linkage>http://your.url.here</linkage>
        <protocol>WWW:LINK-1.0-http--link</protocol>
</onLineSrc>

I think if you need to use a Dublin Core term for acceptability then
dc:format would be appropriate: http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/format
Or least inappropriate.
I suppose in Atom one would use an enclosure. I am not sure what
GeoRSS types would think about this. Carrier format is one thing,
extension vocabulary is another, huh?

> - A thing that would be a great to have, and I know there's many
> attempts already, is to have a Python script or so that asks the
> author to feed basic information (contact details, title, abstract,
> W*S server URLs) and uses GDAL/OGR to extract necessary data
> properties to put into a properly formatted metadata file. That file
> again can be automatically harvested if manually publishing is to
> involved.

I am definitely interested in contributing some of these things, a
bunch of python libraries that mighr be useful, i am not sure to what
extent different parallel and auxiliary applications are really needed
;) this is probably best left for a second email.

> - I think that in the latest gvSIG software one can now automatically
> generate basic metadata and edit it. From gvSIG this can be pushed
> into a GeoNetwork catalog directly.

This sounds great, i look forward to seeing it working. :)
Meanwhile this issue of wanting to express things about metadata that
are not included or well-specified in the existing standard
vocabularies - the problem isn't going to go away.

This is why i have tried to design dclite4g as both a namespace and a
"Dublin Core Application Profile" but perhaps the description on the
wiki is also not "normative" enough to really be useful.
I have dug around a little and really see no more common or simpler
way of talking about a WMS resource using DC vocabulary than
<dc:format>some:kind_of_url</dc:format> ... :/

> - We'll also release a stand alone metadata editor that uses GDAL/OGR
> to fill out basic metadata

Okay, this definitely sounds useful :)
> I don't think we can make metadata life much easier than that ;-) If
> you want, come to the Third GeoNetwork workshop in November and
> you'll return home as a metadata/ catalog master ;-)

I will try to...

cheers,

jo