[Geodata] Osgeo and geoserver for catalogue services

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Mon Oct 22 04:38:44 EDT 2007

Hi Dave,

Dave Sampson wrote:

> Is it the intention of the data group to get a working version of
> geonetwork up and going to act as a discovery method for the data found
> here?
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Geodata_Repository#PostGIS_serving_vector_data

I don't remember all details from past discussions. From my personal
point of view - and as memory serves - I'd say: Yes, indeed !
Yet I don't know too mauch about this Geonetwork catalogue. I've been
plaing with a demo setup several months ago but I'm convinced that
devlopment has changed many aspects since then.

One note about using such catalogue: All the layer details of what I
offer on the "Landcover-DB" Mapserver are derived from a set of
database 'configuration' tables. I use the, over the time pretty
fine-tuned data in these config tables to automagically build the whole
Mapserver map file, create OSGeo Wiki pages, control most of the
database import process and do other stuff.

The "Landcover-DB" Mapserver curently offers approx. 145 different
layers. Therefore it would, at least in _my_ eyes  ;-)  be very helpful
if the catalogue we're going to employ offered some sort of batch
interface so people could avoid typing all the details for every single
layer into the web interface ....

Cheers,
	Martin.