[Geodata] Re: [Aust-NZ] NZ geodata on OSGEO?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Sun Apr 27 09:39:57 EDT 2008

> >I was wondering about the possibility having OSGEO host an NZ wide
> >dataset of topo/cadastral/road centerline/aerial imagery/TLA
> >boundaries, EEZ....  and use it as a demo with OSGEO tools.
> >(probably PostGIS/mapserver/openlayers/geonetwork?).

You don't mention in this email what license this dataset is under. In
general, government data is not freely reusable, and a quick Google
search for nztopo brings me to a license agreement which requires
payment in order to receive data. It certainly is not encouraging on a
first glance, and other pages seem to indicate that the data is made
available under Crown Copyright, which may also limit the ability to
reuse the data for this purpose.

Answering the question of what license the data is under/can be used
under is important, in my opinion. OpenAerialMap, for example, has taken
a position of only accepting data licensed under an attribution-only
license, or placed into the public domain. Non-commercial datasets, like
the Spanish government orthophotos, have thus far been avoided within
that project, since the data has every possibility of being used in a
commercial fashion.

> >LINZ ortho imagery (only 40% coverage- is anything better available?)

Technically speaking, my next question is 'How much data is this'?
Gigabytes, terabytes?

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt