[Geodata] Re: [Aust-NZ] NZ geodata on OSGEO?

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Apr 29 14:00:35 EDT 2008

--- Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au wrote:

> IMO:
>
> Brent,
>
> It seems clear cut, but I'd prefer that we were open with LINZ about our
> intentions and give then the chance to comment if they wanted to.
>

> It will also flag that we're planning to use Open Source spatial tools
> with their data and may generate some more interest on their part.

Umm... Given the discussion ove licencing & attribution, and OSM + OSGEO...

My take on this is that rather than trying to get LINZ to pre-approve a
specific OSGEO setup using LINZ data (& other data- I can think of at least 4
NZ Govt depts who have relevant data), it may be more useful to get a generic
agreement from LINZ to the effect that they are comfortable with the idea of
LINZ data, under the terms of their licence, being made freely available on
public websites for viewing via web mapping applications, web services and for
download.

This more generic agreement, if given, would allow anyone to do this, rather
than just OSGEO/OSM, and doesn't put LINZ in the position of seeming to endorse
any particular organisation to do this.

I'm happy to follow up this approach if there is agreement on these lists that
this is appropriate.

Cheers,

  Brent