[Geodata] Re: [Aust-NZ] NZ geodata on OSGEO?

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Tue Apr 29 22:37:18 EDT 2008

IMO:

Sorry to drag this conversation out.

We need to be realistic as to what can and can't be achieved here. Don't
expect an overnight change in policy.

Speaking to the converted, this has been a pressing issue that has been
bubbling away for over a decade in many countries.

Not all countries have the liberal approaches to data redistriburion that
are prevalent in the US, Canada etc.

Many countries have very restrictive policies. The policies also vary
internally within countries and between jurisdictions.

Many organisations charge for access to data and the income received then
becomes a budget item that contributes to the organisation's ongoing
funding. This happens in Australia for example, excluding GeoScience
Australia and several other agencies excellent examples..

This is not going to be changed easily and will involve long drawn out
processes that include the likes of various Treasury departments.

Speaking as one who is working in a government organisation, I'd caution a
softly softly approach. I would not be demanding that licences are changed
or that we have a waiver on acknowledging where the data has come from.

I'd prefer not to try and tackle OSM's aversion to attribution either.
Personally, I can not understand this approach. I prefer to understand
where my data has come from and have a clear understanding of the data's
lineage and quality. This in turn gives me a measure of comfort in the
results of my analysis. We in the spatial world have a thing called
metadata to help us manage these things. When we have integrated data sets
with data sourced from a variety of sources it adds weight to the calls
for record level metadata.

wrt to hippies, Richard I think that you will be surprised at the level of
interest in Linux and Open Source within Government organisations. I
certainly do not hear this type of derisive comment.

So as a way forward, a simple approach that specifically relates to OSGeo
use of LINZ data may be the best way to get a quick answer.

We do not want to alienate a potentially influential supporter of OSGeo.

Liz, do you have any comments?

Bruce Bannerman

geodata-bounces at lists.osgeo.org wrote on 30/04/2008 06:40:15 AM:

> Yes Brent,
> Could you please approach LINZ on behalf on OSGeo-Aust-NZ. This should
> probably be followed up with an official letter from the committee. I'm
> happy to help there if needed.
>
> I suggest you also contact Liz Kolster (CCed) from the State Services
> Commission who is well connected, shares our ideals of Open Data, and
> has the potential to put wheels in motion to change NZ policy. (I
> understand she is very busy this week, you may have better luck next
week).

> To help Liz and others in the halls of power, we need to be very clear
> about what we are asking for, and the business case to support it (from
> a government perspective).
>
> Direct references to policies from other countries would be very useful.

> (Pointers to these policy docs would be appreciated).
>
> So questions we need to answer is:
> 1. What are our preferences for licenses?
>
> 2. Why are such licenses good for New Zealand?
> A: Access to this data enables business opportunities for New
Zealanders.
> A: Projects like OSM will provide value add services at next to no cost.
>
> 3. Who will host the data?
>
> 4. Who will maintain the data?
>
> Mmm, I can see this turning into a white paper. Before getting bogged
> down, start by making some phone calls.
>
> Dave Patton wrote:
> > Brent Wood wrote:
> >
> >> My take on this is that rather than trying to get LINZ to pre-approve
> >> a specific OSGEO setup using LINZ data (& other data- I can think of
> >> at least 4 NZ Govt depts who have relevant data), it may be more
> >> useful to get a generic agreement from LINZ to the effect that they
> >> are comfortable with the idea of LINZ data, under the terms of their
> >> licence, being made freely available on public websites for viewing
> >> via web mapping applications, web services and for download.
> >>
> >> This more generic agreement, if given, would allow anyone to do this,
> >> rather than just OSGEO/OSM, and doesn't put LINZ in the position of
> >> seeming to endorse any particular organisation to do this.
> >
> > Perhaps asking if they have considered a
> > license agreement similar to that used by
> > other countries? For example, Canada:
> > http://geobase.ca/geobase/en/index.html
> >

> --
> Cameron Shorter
> Geospatial Systems Architect
> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
> Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
>
> Think Globally, Fix Locally
> Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Solutions
> http://www.lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts.html

Notice:

contained in this email.