[Geodata] [Tiger] A few interesting observations on the Tiger2007fedata

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Wed Aug 6 17:21:47 EDT 2008

Stephen, et al,

* Stephen Woodbridge (woodbri at swoodbridge.com) wrote:
> It is also important to note here that the zipcode info in Census is by
> and large circa 1990 when the Census last used the USPS Zip+4 database
> and did a mass merge/update of Tiger. This has an impact in a couple of
> ways:

Census has their seperate ZCTA system, but I don't believe that
means that the detailed per-segment Zip codes aren't ever updated..  It
would be easy enough to check (not that I have) obviously, by looking at
a recently added zip code and checking to find it in the latest Census
data anywhere.  I had thought that the Zip codes were updated as part of
the MAF improvment process at the detailed edge level though.

Just a thought.

	Thanks,

		Stephen