[Geodata] [Tiger] A few interesting observationson theTiger2007fedata

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Aug 6 20:02:58 EDT 2008

Bob Basques wrote:

> Steve,
>
> The census puts out a ZipCode Polygon Set, do you know where this
> originates?

Yes, the Census creates this by looking at the edges of every block and
assign the block the zipcode that is prevalent on the edges. It then
merges the blocks based on the assigned zipcode and then does some
additional (may be by hand) post processing to eliminate holes and
islands and slivers in the polygons.

The purpose of these polygons it for tabulation reporting, hence the
name of these polygons ZipCode Tabulation Areas (ZCTA).

There is a write up on the Census.gov site that I have come across that
explains this process. While this give the allusion that Zipcodes are
polygons they are NOT in fact. Zipcodes are carrier routes or paths the
a postal carrier would travel to deliver mail for a given zipcode. These
carrier paths are adjusted from time to time based on the needs of the
USPS so they can be reasonably dynamic over time frames of years. And in
reality because they are paths and not polygons they can cross over one
another and intersect with other zipcodes along boundary areas based on
the efficiency and needs of the USPS.

-Steve W