[Geodata] [Tiger] A few interesting observations on the Tiger2007fedata

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Jun 30 18:08:21 EDT 2008

Hi John,

Thank you for the feedback. I added the geodata list to this response so
it will get archived there.

One problem on interupting the data for geocoding will be how to decide
what the various address ranges mean. ie: so they overlap each other are
the stacked like |-- range 1 --+--- range 2 --|, or are they just random
house numbers that sit on the street given some other range along the
street, etc.

The other fear I have is that this is rev 0.0 of a new process and
format for the Census, and it is likely buggy as all get out as most rev
0.0 products are. For example we know future versions are supposed to
have the inclusive ranges on the edges shapefile.

Glad to have you on board and sharing your experiences.

It would be great if someone from the US Census would monitor this list.
I'll have to see if I can find anyone that might be interested. It would
also be neat to setup some kind a database like:

user|date|tlid|ss|ccc|file|action|fieldname|oldval|newval

This would allow us to create a database of corrections, errors, etc
that could be automatically applied to the data when processing it and
could be given to the Census if they are interested?

Any thoughts on this, on setting something like this up? Maybe it is not
worth the effort.

-Steve