[Geodata] geodata.telascience.org has new disk

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Mar 15 10:53:25 EDT 2008

Folks,

It looks like John Graham has replaced the failed disk in xblade 11 at
telascience (aka as geodata.telascience.org or 198.202.74.216).  The system
is a fresh FC4 install with a roughly 25GB root partition and 85GB /data
partition.   LDAP logins have not yet been enabled, and I believe all previous
work on this system is lost.

I have updated the notes on this system at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC_Service_Status#xblade11-2_.28geodata.29

But I have *not* updated:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Geodata_processing_at_telascience.org

The question I have is whether we wish to re-establish this system as
a work system for the geodata committee or recycle it for some other purpose.

It appears we are also making extensive use of hypercube for geodata
serving though I have not followed that in any detail.

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/HyperCube

I would personally like us to consider using geodata.telascience.org
to deploy dependable example instances of various OSGeo services.  For
instance, I would like to use it for demonstration WMS, WCS and related
services based on MapServer, that I can point regression test scripts at.
It isn't imperative that a lot of data be available to serve for this role,
but it is imperative that the services setup be stable.  If we take this
purpose for the server, I would also like to setup backups (likely by rsync
to osgeo2) so we could reestablish the services quickly if the machine
dies.

Some other possible uses:
  o Geodata processing (as it is currently defined)
  o Geodata serving (but it has rather modest disk space, and modest CPU
    to do this on a huge scale)
  o buildbot master/slaves (current buildbot blade may become build-saturated
    if used for many more projects)

Best regards,