[Geodata] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] defining a Geospatial Integration Showcase to be launched at FOSS4G 2009

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Fri Oct 24 18:18:54 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 03:10:57PM -0700, Dave Patton wrote:
> On 2008/10/24 10:24 AM, jo at frot.org wrote:
> >dear Cameron, all,
> >
> > Quoting Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>:
> > > Does OSGeo have an official stance on data licencing? If not, I think
> > > we should.
> >
> >No, it doesn't. Last year I started work on an "Open Geodata Licensing
> >Guide";
> >not a recommendation but an overview of the options with their benefits
> >and drawbacks, written with an audience of public administrations in mind.
> >It hasn't been updated in the light of recent discussions.
> >http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Guide_to_Public_Geodata_Licensing
> >
> > An official stance could be Quite Powerful. I want to avoid stirring up
> >fruitless controversy though!
>
> Makes me ask the question - "what would be a suitable type
> of forum at FOSS4G 2009 for this issue"?
>
> For example, if there was an "OSGeo-approved geodata license",
> then perhaps a traditional FOSS4G Presentation as part of the
> conference program would suffice.

In the same way that I don't really know if "OSGeo-approved" is the
right way to do standards, I also don't know if it's the right way to do
licenses. I like Jo's "Guide" much better: establish plus/minus on
licenses, and let the licensors make the call on what 'recommended'
means. I don't think there's *ever* going to be a 'recommended' license
-- in the same way that there isn't for software projects.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer