[Geodata] [Fwd: FW: [EEA-090127.0008] FW: Legal issues concerning the download of CORINE2000 tiles with "wget" (=linux-tool) and more questions]

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Feb 2 11:49:58 EST 2009

Dear "OSGeo - Public Geospatial Data" Committee,
Dear Mr. Zachariadis,

I contacted the EEA concerning my request to host the Greek CORINE land
cover dataset. I am forwarding you the reply from EEA. My questions
directed to EEA concerning the CORINE land cover dataset for Greece
where:

1. Are there any further restrictions besides the "Rights" [6] that are
clearly stated in the respective web-page[1]?

2. Does any legal issue arise from the use of wget to download
CORINE2000 tiles from the web-link mentioned in the references [3]?

3. Is it illegal to host the ready-to-use "greek" CORINE2000 map (ESRI
Shapefile) to an open-access server with other public domain geospatial
data?

The message I have sent to EEA is to be read in the forwarded message
and the reply from Mrs. Ana Sousa as well. As far as I understand there
are _no_ legal issues. However, allow me please to focus on 2 things:

i. Mrs. Ana Sousa wrote:

The European seamless Corine database is under copyright of the EEA and
within public domain. Public domain information may be used free of
charge, both for commercial or non-commercial purposes, provided the
source is acknowledged. The acknowledgement should read: "(c) EEA,
Copenhagen, 2007"

Comment:

The phrase "both for commercial or non-commercial purposes" is something
I read for the first time with respect to the CORINE land data base. If
I am not wrong, the "Rights" (=terms of use) [*] are talking clearly
about "not to use the data/applications for commercial purposes unless
the Agency has expressly granted the right to do so".
---

ii. The EEA does not encourage the proliferation of different download
facilities. Furthermore, she suggests to contact (greek) national
authorities and present them my tutorial about CORINE with GRASS (in the
Greek language).

Comment:

I will be very happy to receive a positive response from national
authorities. Nevertheless, the tutorial I have prepared is clearly
targeting GRASS-GIS users and the OSGeo community in general. From this
point of view, the dataset (along with its attribute tables) that is
ready-to-use is part of the tutorial (even if it is the end-product of
the tutorial). My personal desire is to host this dataset in OSGeo.
---

I kindly ask you to review Mrs. Sousa's response.

Meanwhile, I will probably re-contact Mrs. Sousa, this time cc-ing to
the geospatial at lists.osgeo.org list and to the contact persons of the
national authorities.

Kind regards, Nikos
---

* <http://dataservice.eea.europa.eu/dataservice/metadetails.asp?id=950>

  In the section "Rights":
        EEA grants free access to all its data/applications provided
        that the user agrees:
        * to acknowledge the source as follows: Copyright EEA,
        Copenhagen, 2007
        * to display a link to the EEA web site
        http://www.eea.europa.eu