[Geodata] Re: Request to host the "greek" CORINE land cover map (2)

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Feb 18 00:59:05 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 21:18 -0800, Hamish wrote:
> Nikos:
> > The dataset is about ~86MB (tarzipped).
>
> David Bitner wrote:
> > I apologize, but if there is no one on our committee with access to our
> > hosting resources who has spoken up and is willing to spearhead finding
> > a place where we can host this data that we will not be able to fulfill
> > your request.  We are a volunteer group and rely entirely on the
> > efforts of individuals to make anything happen. Unfortunately, we are
> > not organized to be able to accommodate requests all requests that come
> > in.
>
> given the name and mission of this mailing list, perhaps this dataset is
> a good opportunity to better clarify/set some more of that infrastructure
> in place.

I am happy to see some mobility here :-)

> Nikos, see:
>   http://www.osgeo.org/geodata/repository
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Geodata_Repository
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:Geodata_Repository

Already studied the last weeks (not everything in detail though).

> perhaps here could help as well: http://www.okfn.org/geo/
> ?  (Jo Walsh seems to be heavily involved both places...)

That "sounds" interesting.

> I would suggest geotorrent.org but that seems to be gone now (I am not
> very surprised, since ER Mapper got bought out it seemed to be rather
> neglected) Perhaps that is a service we could provide (only those granted
> write access could add trackers so it doesn't get spammed with unlegal
> stuff).

> The only trouble I see is with the "non-commercial" clause. That is a
> problem for .org's like Debian but I don't think it is a deal-breaker
> here. Having data for research & teaching is wonderful. (it's a bit
> unclear what "non-commercial" means anyway. is a university a business?
> is a sponsored research grant paid work? industry funded scholarship?
> etc.  OSGeo is a registered non-profit, so by defn non-commercial)

> Hamish

As far as it concerns the CORINE dataset, EEA (through Mrs. Ana Sousa)
is clear:

* no commeracial apps
* _yes_ for commercial apps given that the user has asked for permission

And for the latter, I copy-paste Ana Sousa's reply (latest e-mail, Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2009 17:18:12 +0100) to my comment/question about commercial
or not [*]:

<< Dear Nikos,
We grant access for commercial uses upon request, and that is why we in
the use the following formulation:

"not to use the data/applications for commercial purposes unless the
Agency has expressly granted the right to do so".

This way we make sure that we get the requests, even though the reply is
always of the same kind: the use is granted both for commercial and
non-commercial purposes. This way we are able to maintain a sort of
"list of uses" of the data. We are interested in knowing this in order
to have an idea about the "benefits" this datasets may generate.
Was that clear?
Thank you

Best regards

Ana Sousa >>