[Geodata] wiki-nature geodata aggregators

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Tue Jul 28 10:12:26 EDT 2009

Andrew Turner schrieb:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Martin Spott<Martin.Spott at mgras.net> wrote:
>> Jo Walsh wrote:
>>
>>> "It would be nice" to see a data quality push - not in terms of
>>> comparison to proprietary sources, but in terms of peer review and of
>>> spreading, well, quality assurance, through the network back up to
>>> original data providers. How to do this without bureaucratic overhead
>>> (or while funding bureaucratic overhead)? Answers on a postcard...
>> No idea, as the conceptual 'design' behind all these data providers
>> requires their sources to be "authoritative" in some way - a criteria
>> that is unlikely to be met by any effort which relies primarily on
>> crowdsourcing  :-)
>
> I disagree. You're seeing OSM and GeoNames powering the data systems
> of more companies and organizations. They are leveraging scale,
> development and communities that none of these individual groups could
> begin to enable themselves.

I agree with Andrew on this. The mobile dept of Nokia plans to integrate
OSM as the core dataset for their handhelds. Link anyone?

> There have been efforts to incorporate data back into original sources
> - a problem that has social, legal, and technical hurdles. Yet the
> onus can be on the receiving organization to incorporate this
> potentially very valuable data instead of putting that burden on the
> larger community itself to attempt to cater to each group.
>
> What I think we'll see more of are organizations just embracing these
> projects and data sources as their primary source itself and
> enhancing. The problem here is the licensing for databases like OSM is
> "viral", so any changes would have to be opened back up - so the goal
> here would be to convince government and other agencies that their
> value doesn't lie in their hoarding the data, but curating and
> ensuring it's coverage and accuracy in their specific areas of
> interest.

We have some encouraging efforts to that effect going on in Germany. The
viral effect of OSM can be remedied with a late bound, distributed
infrastructure, this Blog may help explain what I mean:
http://arnulf.us/sevendipity/archives/20-Copyright-in-a-Shrapnel-Shell.html

And the new license is practically in place already.

Regards,