[Geodata] wiki-nature geodata aggregators

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Tue Jul 28 10:25:31 EDT 2009

Mikel Maron, OSM schrieb:
> Well said Andrew.
>
> I'll also add that just because a geodata set has a stamp or
> "authority", and some apparent quality assurance process, does not
> mean that the resulting data is any better, or the process any more
> full proof, than the many eyes approach of OSM.

True. At the same time for some it does make a difference whether an
authority of some kind stamps information or not. OSGeo may well (be)
develop(ed) into a kind of authority because it is not ...

> The "man behind the
> curtain"

...but values openness and operates with a crowd sourced, transparent
but all the same traceable process. And it is in some ways independent
of the OSM die-hards. Independency is highly valued for stamping things.

> of authoritative geodata is that the processes are actually
> less comprehensive (a certain NMA that shall remain nameless does not
> even track which individual surveyor & cartographer were responsible
> for which bits of data) and often of lower quality. And that's with
> tremendous amount of more money and time than OSM has had!

Beware of such statements, I am pretty unsure whether it is ecologically
viable to move a crowd to map something or have one professional do the
same thing with - well - "professional" efficiency. This is not said to
devalue what OSMembers do nor overestimate what certain unnamed
OSurveyors do.

> Not to say that there's nothing OSM can learn from traditional map
> makers .. we're not that full of ourselves! But certainly there's
> widespread acknowledgement that "they" can learn from "us" as well.
> The efforts that Andrew mentions, to feedback crowdsourced data into
> official sources, are some of the most interesting problems in our
> field right now.
>
> -Mikel

Well said.

Regards,