[Geodata] geodata.gov.gr (beta) is up and running on foss

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Sat Aug 14 05:11:20 EDT 2010

Might be of your interest that,

<http://www.geodata.gov.gr/> is (beta) up and running. "Public data, Open
data" is the motto.

For non-Greek speakers a sub-link perhaps worth looking at: "Χάρτες"(=maps)
[1]. Services might be a bit slow since it partially runs on virtual machines
(keeping the budget low and use existing infrastracture).

--%<---
Background info:

- exclusively using open source tools:
Joomla, PostGIS, MapServer, OpenLayers, MapFish, GeoNetwork

- maps from:
Google Maps (sat. imagery), Το OpenStreetMap (maps), "Κτηματολόγιο Α.Ε."
(aerial imagery) [2]

- coded in:
PHP, Python, JavaScript, Java

Licen$e stuff:

- Google Maps [4]
- OpenStreetMap [5]
- "Κτηματολόγιο Α.Ε." (=Hellenic cadastre). Currently commercial use strictly
prohibited [6]
--->%--

As far as my personal view counts, I really like that this has become a
reality. One tiny annoyance: I don't have any special attachement to Google
(=trying to politely express my thoughts) but is there any better alternative?
None that I know of.

OpenAerialMap [3] was shut down and wasn't realy comparable with the spatial
resolution of Google's service.

Dear reader, I kindly ask you to forward the link to greek speaking users.
Kindest regards, Nikos
---

[1] <http://www.geodata.gov.gr/maps/>
[2] <http://www.ktimatologio.gr/ktima/EN/index.php>
[3] <http://www.openaerialmap.org/Main_Page>

[4] <http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/help/terms_maps.html>
[5] Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic License
[6] <http://tinyurl.com/26ow8ku>