[Geodata] Starting work on a metadata.osgeo.org service

David William Bitner bitner at gyttja.org
Fri Jun 11 13:12:42 EDT 2010

Arnulf,

This indeed sounds like a great opportunity for OSGeo Geodata.  This
has indeed been the dream  for quite some time. I will counsel that
the limiting factor has never been the lack of know-how or software or
hardware, it has simply been the lack of people who had the itch or
the business need to really spend the time that it takes to really run
with this. This is why loosely affiliated or at least "friends of
OSGeo Geodata" projects like FlightGear Scenery or the Education
Dataset or the work that has been done with imagery and other data at
Telascience disasters have been the limit of what has actually been
accomplished.

If there is indeed some inertia and some energy and willingness from
folks to really get their hands dirty I would be absolutely ecstatic.
If there is anyone who really feels that they have a vision and the
energy to really take a lead and make all of this happen, I would love
to had over the reigns to this committee :-)

David