[Geodata] Re: Geodata Digest, Vol 39, Issue 4

Permana Yudiarso permana.yudiarso at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 00:40:48 EDT 2010

dear All,

i think this is a good think to share a government provided data to public,
at least i saw a contrast situation in INdonesia. the governance system of
data sharing and management is still develop by Bakosurtanal (
www.bakosurtanal.go.id) as a coordinator. at least the motivation to go
forward is my commitment.

In fact, every year of government activities that are needed a huge amount
of data whether spatial or no are conducted. yet, some of activities across
government agencies are conducting a project which is resulted a huge amount
of data. it is better to make a network of database within government
agencies so that we can use them as a basis for further activities.

in my institutions - ministry marine affairs and fisheries -, there are so
many data but again, a data sharing protocol and other administration
matters are not regulated in Indonesia. thus, it therefore make inefficieny
in public spending.

i think Canada and other developed countries are examples when data is a
public concern, thus they can publish with a proper regulation. we -
developing countries, particularly INdonesia , is need an technical
assisstance and sharing of how these countries can make like this,
especially in governance system.

best regards

--
Permana Yudiarso
Directorate Spatial Planning for Marine, Coasts, and Small Islands Affairs